Sunday 10 June 2012

Shock horror! Drugstore hair products!!

My name is Debbie and I'm a hair product snob.  There I said it!  Personally if I ever find myself with a lump of cash that I don't need I am going to buy myself Frederic Fekkai Overnight Hair Repair which is £138.  OK, I probably wouldn't, but if that £138 really really was spare I'd be sorely tempted!

I have wanted to use Kerastase shampoo and conditioner for ever but always baulked at the price.  Then last year I managed to justify it on the basis that I was getting my hair cut every 4-6 months and colouring it at home.  I love Kerastase products and would happily use nothing else.  But I have had a complete change of heart regarding salon visits and my hair.  On April 18th I spent £50 on highlights and glossing (thats the nice way of saying they cover up your grey roots that would show between the hightlights).  Then yesterday I just had the "glossing" bit done and a tiny trim, £62, and whilst I was there I booked T-section highlights and glossing for 7th July which is going to be another £60 I'm guessing so I really, really can't justify my Kerastase habit any longer.  



Fortunately Em had a sample of L'Oreal EverPure in a magazine which I pinched.  I have to say I have been sort of drawn to this range since I first saw it.  Just in case you don't know here's what they say:
 Non-sulphate cleansing system. Indulgent care to help protect over-processed, frizzy hair.

Specifically designed for fragile and brittle hair, EverStrong Reinforcing & Vitality is a Reinforcing System that combines non-sulphate cleansing and conditioning care. The formulae are enriched with botanical rosemary and juniper oils. Hair looks shinier, smoother and protected. For extra care use L'Oréal Paris Hair Expertise EverStrong Shampoo with EverStrong Reinforcing & Vitality Conditioner and EverStrong Nourishing Intense Mask

I decided to try EverStrong because it seemed closest to the Kerastase range that I was using.  I have used it for the last week and whilst I don't think it tames the frizz quite as well as the Kerastase did, I think that given I bought the shampoo and conditioner for £9 together in Boots compared to a joint price for the Kerastase of £34.80, the difference isn't worth the additonal £25.90 - gad that's a Dior Extreme Addict lipstick right there, in case further justification were needed!  Considering this is sulphate free it works up a nice lather, it smells lovely, sort of herbal which, considering it contains rosemary and juniper oils is hardly surprising - mmm hair that smells of gin, quick squirt of Juniper Sling and I'm good to go!!  The biggest downside I have found is that with the Kerastase and a good blow dry - this takes me 20 mins and I don't stint on the products;  a smoothing gel, an anti split ends serum (see below!) and a squirt of Kerastase to thicken, the next morning I can "refresh" my hair, using EverStrong I really could do with starting from scratch again the next day, it just doesn't stay as frizz free as it does with the Kerastase.


As if all that weren't bad enough there's this:


 I know!!! Shocking isn't it.  TRESemme stuff.  My god who'd ever have thought it.  Tell you what though, this bloody stuff works!  It smells lovely, like sherbert sweets - covers up the ominpresent whiff of gin! - and it works.  I rub a couple of pumps through my wet hair before styling and then rub a single pump onto my hands and then lightly froof the ends of my hair once its dried and it really tames the frizz.  This costs a budget busting £5.99 and given the amount you need this could last me well into my 80's.

Big thanks btw to Claire of Jolie Laide Beauty Blog, whose review of EverStrong I read and who then answered my questions on twitter, she helped me to decide it was definitely worth trying, thanks Claire; my hair loves you, my wallet loves you, but more importantly my husband worships you and your frugal good sense!!

8 comments:

  1. Hello hair snob!! I think it is important to use products that work best for us but when we find this at a lower price tag....all the better for us! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally right! My problem is that I convince myself that you get what you pay for, which to an extent you do, and that nothing else will ever work as well, which to an extent it doesn't. Its whether the saving made justifies the reduction in efficacy - wow its like hair algebra or something!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one hair snob to another, I think I may finally be swayed to try this new l'oreal range. Particularly fancying the Eversleek duo.
    I am currently addicted to Kerastase bain satin and have used this on and off since I was about 14 - I buy the cheaper ranges and am never satisfied and return to my costly habit!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A week on and I am still quite happy with it, it helps I think that I am using my Paul Mitchell and Kerastase styling products! I know what you mean about buying cheaper and then reverting back, its almost a false economy to go there in the first place! x

      Delete
  4. Debs I'm not surprised at your hair habits, you do have quite the fabulous mop going on. Will look out for that TreSemme split ends product, sounds amaze x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simone, a bit like my eyebrows my hair would be beyond shite if left to its own devices! It's a chicken and egg situation; my hair looks good because I use good stuff on it and I use good stuff on it because it's what works! x

      Delete
  5. Now I have a theory based purely on 2 examples ie myself and my sister. She is obsessed with hair, she saved up (at 14 mind) to get her hair cut by Nicky Clarke - yes the Nicky Clarke, and is always into this or that unguent because she has beautiful but tricky hair, slightly on the curly side, changes with the weather. She takes her makeup off sometimes, isn't too into skincare and has even calm skin. On the other hand I have tricky skin, but neutral hair, it grows, I cut it,it behaves. I use whatever is on offer in the supermarket. My theory - you spend money and often spend a life time searching for the products which sate your biggest beauy concern. I am probably completely wrong becauseas Simone says from what I have seen in pics your hair is utterly fab. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sister and I sound very alike - my hair is in no way fab left to do what it wants, it is very tricky and any kind of moisture or humidity turn it into a massive, frizzy hideousness. Its like parenting a toddler, I have to be firm to be kind! I am skin care obsessed because my skin is similarly tricky, nail obsessed because for years I bit them horribly and suffered no end of shame because of them. Its probably as well my body is beyond help or I'd be so body obsessed I would be quite seriously the vainest, most self obsessed person anyone had ever had the misfortune to meet! xxx

      Delete

Would love to hear from you, I always read comments and reply and I love not feeling like I am talking to myself! dx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...